1st Time Passport
Effective May 22, 2006 all DS-11 passport applications submitted to Passport Agency from Visa Network must be completed Online-only, downloaded, printed from the Internet, and contain the new 2-D barcode on the left side.
The paper must be 81/2 inches by 11 inches, with no perforations. The paper must be at least medium weight (20 lbs.), with a matte surface. Applications printed on thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, any glossy paper, or on a dot matrix printer will not be accepted.
- All US passport applicants must complete the additional letter of authorization. Please note: Sign and send us the original copy.
- Complete the Passport Book application online (Apply for a Passport Book), click "Create Form", download and (a) Print all of DS-11 application to submit to a Passport Acceptance Facility Please note: Sign the application in front of the Clerk only. (County Court House or Post Office only)
- Save an extra set of DS-11 for attachment to the outside of the sealed envelope you will eventually receive from the clerk. Also bring the Permission to Process U.S. Passport Form with you so they will release the sealed envelope to you.
- Obtain one Passport Photo, front faced, with a light background, and taken in the past three months.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship: (a) certified birth certificate, issued by state or county health department or vital statistics bureau. Please note that hospital certificate is not acceptable. (b) naturalization certificate (c) old expired U.S. passport.
- Photo ID such as Driver's license and a blank Check for Government Fees: The fees are $195 for adults and $165 for minors under 16 years old. These fees are divided into $170 for "U.S. Department of State" (this is the government processing fee) and $25 for post office or clerk of court for adults, and $140 for “U.S. Department of State“ and $25 for the post office or the clerk of court for minors. Please note: Do not write any checks until the clerk tells you to do so.
- Submit the completed application and supporting documents to a Passport Acceptance Facility (the local post office or county court house) near you for authorization. If you require a rush processing make sure to include a flight itinerary. Notify the clerk that you are using an expediting service (Visa Network) to "hand carry" your application.
- When your application is accepted, the clerk will hand over the sealed envelope. If the clerk does not feel at ease about releasing the sealed envelope, suggest that he/she refer to page 31 or 44 of their Passport Agent's manual, "Hand-carrying of Executed Applications". (Do not open this sealed envelope or the application will be invalid)
- Send the sealed envelope along with an extra set of DS-11 attached outside the evelope, along with the Order Form to Visa Network:
870 Market St. Suite #888
San Francisco, CA 94102
Expedited service takes approximately ten business days to complete. For a Rush, Will Call service, a flight itinerary or Business letter stating the urgency of this immediate international travel is required. This process generally takes about three days to complete.